Now this article really woke us up about exercise. The complete article is at this link but some highlights are-
1. People who exercise as little as 15 minutes a day have a 14 percent lower mortality risk than people who don’t exercise at all.
2. Exercisers can improve their performance by as much as 50 percent if they eat dark chocolate regularly. (Author’s note to self. Shop today)
3. Men who exercise vigorously are only one third as likely to experience erectile dysfunction as men who exercise very little or not at all. (I’d love to understand how they figured that stat…I mean do you walk around men’s locker room after the exercise?)
4. Depressed people can alleviate their symptoms by as much as 47 percent with regular aerobic exercise. (I have never heard of someone going postal at a 24 hour fitness joint)
5. Three times as many college graduates as high-school dropouts exercise regularly.
6. Exercisers can improve their performance by as much as 15 percent if they listen to music while working out. (No matter what the music? Really?)
7. Waiters and waitresses walk twice as much as lawyers and police officers do on an average working day. (Lawyers yes but cops?)
8. Six percent more men than women exercise regularly.
9. Workers increase their physical activity by 8 percent and burn 25 more calories on casual-clothing workdays than on workdays when they wear regular office attire.
10. People who want to quit smoking are twice as likely to succeed in quitting if they lift weights than if they don’t lift weights.
11. Avid swimmers have a 50 percent lower mortality rate than runners, walkers, and people who don’t exercise at all. (That clear the weight room out of those old people)
12. Astronauts lost 15 percent of muscle mass and 30 percent of muscle performance during six months at the International Space Station, despite their aerobics-focused exercise regimen.
13. Teens who exercise are 36 percent less likely to develop brain tumors than teens who don’t. (Are they sure its not the radiation from the video games?)
14. White Americans exercise 16 percent more than Hispanic Americans and 10 percent more than African-Americans. (To quote the politicians and press that’s just racist)
15. Runners who stretch before running burn 5 percent fewer calories than runners who don’t stretch.
Time to go exercise!